SOURCE: Orange County Register
by Brian Bensimon
The FBI has a long history of acting more as a "national security" agency than a law enforcement body, targeting racial and ethnic minorities and leftist activists.
SOURCE: The Guardian
The FBI has long disrupted and discredited civil rights leaders. It should put its authorities to better use by holding officers accountable.
SOURCE: The Intercept
It is a historical fact that law enforcement frequently infiltrates progressive political movements using agent provocateurs who urge others to engage in violence.
by Peter Levy
Reopening the investigation of the bombing deaths of Ralph Featherstone and William Payne at the fiftieth anniversary of the crime will shed further light on the dangers of unchecked government agencies and the shortcomings of the fifth estate.
by L.E.J. Rachell
From COINTELPRO to Black Lives Matter.
SOURCE: National Security Archive
It's just been revealed that thousands of COINTELPRO documents were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy.
by Jeremy Kuzmarov
Betty Medsger's new book "The Burglary" again shines light on the controversial (and illegal) FBI program COINTELPRO.
SOURCE: New York Times
The FBI offices in Philadelphia were burglarized forty years ago today.
Beverly Gage, a Yale history professor, is the author of The Day Wall Street Exploded....There can be no question that COINTELPRO was more intrusive—if also more targeted—than today’s apparent efforts at mass technological surveillance by the National Security Agency. But there is at least one important distinction that makes today’s scandal far more disturbing. When the FBI launched COINTELPRO, it was acting alone, outside of the boundaries of established law. Today, what the NSA is doing appears to be legal—and nearly every branch of the government is complicit. Unlike Hoover’s activities, the NSA’s programs come to us with the seal of congressional and judicial approval. It didn’t take J. Edgar Hoover to engineer this scandal. We did it to ourselves....
- How Jimi Hendrix’s London Years Changed Music
- Presidential Campaigns are Almost Always about the Future. In 2020, the Candidates Cannot Stop Talking about the Past
- Richard and the Revolutionaries: Why did Lefties Love Wagner?
- Trump Alleges ‘Left-Wing Indoctrination’ in Schools, Says He will Create National Commission to Push More ‘Pro-American’ History
- Black Leaders Launch ‘1776 Unites’ High School Curriculum
- 52 Years Ago, Thelonious Monk Played a High School. Now Everyone Can Hear It.
- From MLK to Whistleblowers, the FBI’s Trouble with Dissidents
- If the Electoral College is a Racist Relic, Why has it Endured? (podcast)
- It’s the 100th Anniversary of the Wall Street Bombing
- Ed Bearss, Past Chief Historian Of National Park Service, Dies At 97