by Alan Singer
The use of federal troops to enforce domestic law and order has usually served the interests of big business and white supremacy; recent calls to send in the troops are not concerned with protecting freedom.
by Gautham Rao
The real impediment to Trump's use of the Insurrection Act is historical precedent and norms; If Trump doesn't have any regard for them, there is little to stop him from following through on his pledge to deploy the military in American cities.
SOURCE: The Baffler
by Hawa Allan
The 1807 Insurrection Act was inescapably a product of early nineteenth century fears of slave revolt.
- Alabama's State Archives Confronts Its Racist Past
- Alumni Blitz for the Liberal Arts
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg had to Leave America to See how Unfairly it Treated Women
- “The White Man Who Stayed” Tells A Story Of Activism During The Civil Rights Era (audio)
- U.K. Conservation Society Details Links to Colonialism and Slavery