SOURCE: National Security Archive
The release of the redacted Mueller report today focuses new public attention on the systemic problem of over-classification. Here are some classic examples of U.S. government over-zealousness in applying a figurative Magic Marker to information that was already public or should be public.
The released Mueller Report will likely be highly redacted. Here's the history behind those black marks.
- Do American Indians Celebrate the 4th of July?
- Trump Vows To Veto Defense Bill If It Removes Confederate Names From Military Bases
- Fourth of July: Beer’s Patriotic Connection to the Founding Fathers
- Calls for ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ to be Replaced With a New US National Anthem
- As Young People Drive Infection Spikes, College Faculty Members Fight For The Right To Teach Remotely
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire
- Boston To Remove Statue Depicting Abraham Lincoln With Freed Black Man At His Feet
- Mount Rushmore Historian: Monument 'Is Like A Rorschach, It Says Different Things To Different People'