SOURCE: National Security Archive
The release of the redacted Mueller report today focuses new public attention on the systemic problem of over-classification. Here are some classic examples of U.S. government over-zealousness in applying a figurative Magic Marker to information that was already public or should be public.
The released Mueller Report will likely be highly redacted. Here's the history behind those black marks.
- The Quiet 2013 Lunch That Could Have Altered Supreme Court History
- It’s Not Anti-Catholic to Ask Amy Coney Barrett About Her Religious Group “People of Praise”
- The Incredible Influence of James A. Baker III
- ‘Schitt’s Creek’ Star, and His Fans, Are Taking Indigenous Studies
- Amy Coney Barrett and the Triumph of Phyllis Schlafly
- Re-Watching ‘The Civil War’ During the Breonna Taylor and George Floyd Protests
- Why New Mexico’s 1680 Pueblo Revolt Is Echoing in 2020 Protests
- The Problem of Confederate Statues on U.S. Public Lands
- Alonso Perales May be the Most Important Mexican American Civil Rights Figure that No One Knows
- The Red Scare and Women in Government