The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises PressHistorians in the News
tags: Republican Party, political conventions, Donald Trump, 2020 Election
For Trump, one danger is that he is seen as unable to get the country under control.
Many experts are sure this spells trouble, and maybe electoral doom, for Trump.
Allan Lichtman, a history professor at American University and one of the few prominent observers to predict Trump’s 2016 victory, said the president is “really in much worse shape than he was five months ago.”
Referring to the cumulative effects of COVID-19, economic disruption and social unrest, Lichtman added that, for Trump, “there will be an electoral price to be paid for what is going on in the country.”
The poll that drew Trump’s ire on Monday showed Biden leading the president 53 percent to 43 percent among registered voters. Two months previously, Biden’s edge in a poll from the same organizations had been just 2 points, 49 percent to 47 percent.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Real Reason the American Economy Boomed After World War II
- Florence Revives Medieval Plague-Era ‘Wine Windows’ for Contactless Service
- Tulane Canceled a Talk by the Author of an Acclaimed Anti-Racism Book After Students Said the Event Was 'Violent'
- Sunday Reading: Hiroshima
- More Than a Century Before the 19th Amendment, Women were Voting in New Jersey
- Black Americans Who Served in WWII Faced Segregation and Second-Class Roles
- Lincoln Library Cancels Exhibition Over Racial Sensitivity Concerns
- Nixon Did Call the Military on Protesters. He Just Covered It Up.
- Historians Pay Tribute: ‘Today We Live In John Hume’s Ireland, And Thank God For That’
- Let Us Drink in Public