Biden Must Pick Warren: She’d Balance the Ticket and Invigorate the Party as No Other Veep CouldRoundup
tags: presidential history, Joe Biden, vice presidents, Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Election
Jonathan Zimmerman teaches education and history at the University of Pennsylvania. He is the author of “The Amateur Hour: A History of College Teaching in America,” which will be published in the fall.
In August 2015, when Joe Biden was considering a bid for the White House, he invited Elizabeth Warren for lunch at the vice-presidential residence on the grounds of the Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. According to a person who was briefed about the meeting, Biden told Warren he wanted her to be on his ticket if he ran for president.
He should repeat the offer, right now. Indeed, tapping Warren for vice-president might be just the ticket to unite Democrats and unseat President Trump in November.
It would also prevent a repeat of their debacle in 2016, when Democrats’ internal divisions essentially gifted the presidency to Trump. After a bitter battle against Bernie Sanders in the primaries, Hillary Clinton was never able to rally his supporters to her side. Twelve percent of people who voted for Sanders in the 2016 primaries cast their ballot for Trump, while too many others chose a third-party candidate or simply stayed home.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Supreme Court Justices Show How They Might Help Him in Contested Election
- Two Visions of the Suburbs Are on the Ballot. Both Are Myths
- FBI Won’t Deliver Report on White-Supremacist Terror Threat Until After Election
- VMI Superintendent Steps Down Amid Allegations Of 'Structural Racism'
- Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other Genocides
- How Democrats Can Learn Hardball From the Republicans of 1861
- When a Kidnapping Ring Targeted New York’s Black Children (Review)
- To Understand The Spectacle Of Presidential Debates, Look Back To 1960, Says Harvard Historian
- If only Richard Nixon had Listened to Jackie Robinson — The GOP Might be Doing Better than Trump Today
- "Time's Monster" by Priya Satia Review – Living in the Past