Martin Luther: Reluctant reformer who rocked Christianity 500 years agoBreaking News
tags: religion, Christianity, Martin Luther, Protestant Reformation, Protestant
Five hundred years ago this month, Martin Luther set out to challenge his church and ended up starting what would become known as the Protestant Reformation.
On Oct. 31, 1517, Luther, then an Augustinian monk, theology professor and parish priest, published his 95 Theses, formally entitled “Disputation on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences.”
He was just 10 days shy of his 34th birthday.
comments powered by Disqus
- Suffrage: Women's Long Battle for the Vote (Virtual Event, 10/26)
- The Supreme Court Is Helping Republicans Rig Elections
- Online Lecture: Stolen: Five Free Boys Kidnapped Into Slavery and Their Astonishing Odyssey Home (11/2)
- In a Land of Cul-de-Sacs, the Street Grid Stages a Comeback
- Frontline: Whose Vote Counts?